17546 Legal & Compliance Counsel
1. Business partnering : Enable business leaders of the company to make intelligent risk taking and achieve growth objectives in all aspects of business activities (e.g., R&D, new product launch, marketing, sales, distribution, production, business development, digitalization, human relations, external communications) based on clear-eyed assessments of risk and rewards while protecting the company from major legal, compliance, and reputational risks. Cover one or more LoB (Line of Business) and provide the LoB with various legal and compliance supports including consultation, advising, communication material review, and training. Solve problems and address business challenges by utilizing expertise on laws, regulations and industry codes regarding the business (e.g., contract, tort, intellectual property, corporate, fair competition, data protection, digital, pharma regulation, labor and employment, anti-bribery, product safety, complaint handling, litigation and other dispute resolution). These tasks often involve coordination with local and global stakeholders.
2. Contracting : Advising on, drafting, reviewing, and approving, and negotiating on various types of contracts (e.g., clinical trial, post market study, investigator sponsored study, joint research, wholesaler and distribution, employment, procurement, alliance) to enable business leaders to achieve growth initiatives while protecting the company from major legal, compliance, and reputational risks.
3. Compliance investigation : Lead and conduct investigations on compliance related allegations or concerns including (i) interviewing, (ii) investigation memo drafting, (iii) case reporting through Compliance Hotline system and (iv) informing and managing global stakeholders
4. Process implementation and ownership : Plan, lead, and execute the implementation of the requirements of local regulations and the company’s global policy regarding personal data protection through coordination with local and global stakeholders.
5. Process optimization : Identify opportunities for optimizing existing processes and policies, and plan, lead, and execute optimization projects (digitization, automation, and simplification) to achieve more simplicity and agility for both Legal & Compliance team and business leaders while maintaining required level of control.
6. Nurturing compliance culture : Live the value of “open & honest” and “do the right thing,” nurture such mindset among all employees, and create such an environment
・Bachelor’s degree required; Law degree preferred
・Lawyer qualification required; Japan lawyer qualification preferred.
・Minimum 3 years of experience at a law firm and/or legal division in a company required; experience at a law firm and/or healthcare industry preferred.
・Legal mind (logical thinking, rule-based approach, interpretation, application)
・Clear & logical communication (written & verbal) including reporting, presentation, and documentation skill to integrate facts, data, and evidence into one message that enables business leaders to take action or make informed decision in an efficient manner
・Proficiency in Japanese and English (written & verbal)
・Project management skill
・Passion for integrity
・Passion for learning and personal development
・Curiosity in healthcare industry
・Self-starter; proactive mindset and behaviour
・Knowledge on healthcare regulation / industry code preferred